Prep time About 10 minutes Cooking Time about 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- Four cloves garlic
- One onion, chopped fine
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup drained low-fat yogurt or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat the peanut oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and add the onions and garlic. Cook them for a few minutes until they soften, then add the turmeric, yellow curry powder, garam masala, and cardamom. Stir them well into the onions and garlic and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return the browned chicken to the pot along with the fresh ginger and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a slow simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and chickpeas and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve over plain basmati rice.