Are you looking for a delicious and easy chowder recipe that will make your New England friends jealous? Then look no further because this New England Calm Chowder is the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly day! And trust me; it’s so good that even the most finicky eaters will love it. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try today!
To make this delicious chowder, you’ll need some bacon, onions, celery, chopped clams, clam juice, potatoes, heavy cream, cornstarch, water, thyme, and salt and Pepper to taste.
- ½ pound of diced bacon
- 1 ½ cups of diced onions (You can substitute 4 cups of sliced leeks, using only the white and light green stems of the leeks)
- 1 ½ cups of diced celery
- 4 cups of chopped clams
- 6 cups of clam juice
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 4 tbsp. of cornstarch
- 4 tbsp. of cold water
- Four springs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dry thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First, render the bacon in a soup pot until it browns.
- Add the vegetables.
- Lower the heat and add two tablespoons of water to keep the vegetables from turning brown.
- Saute the vegetables for five minutes.
- Add the chopped clams, clam juice, potatoes, and cream.
- Check for flavor and add salt and Pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme.
- Thicken with cornstarch that has been dissolved in cold water.
- Bring the chowder to a boil.
- The chowder is now finished, so enjoy!
Preparation time 30 minutes. Makes eight servings.